Friday, September 4, 2020

HIS 6942 Week 2 Blog (August 31-September 4)

 Entering the second week, the COVID-19 memory project was the priority as the Special Collections and University Archives introduced it to the students. Mary Rubin provided a presentation for the students to present and I participated in the presentation as a speaker. This participation was due to my experience working in archives at SCUA and I relayed my experience to the students. Most students seemed very eager to participate in the project, especially in the creation of questions such as how COVID-19 has affected students in a wide variety of areas. Students began to ask questions and participate actively as they are responsible for collecting oral history for the project. Dr. Murphree has tasked me to be the project coordinator over the students, managing their contribution to the project and guide them properly. I tried to push students to begin thinking on who they would like to interview by next Tuesday as a means of encouraging them. I am expecting them to email me by Monday to state who they are interviewing and why so that they have a foundation to begin the project. Procrastination was always a characteristic of my undergraduate degree which lead me to this assignment.

Dr. Murphree and I spoke about student interaction in the class as I voiced my concerns about it due to the presentations this week. This class lacked any discussion about historical discourse, yet I concede that the importance of these presentations was significant.  Students seem to be a little nervous or anxious talking as it is the second week. Mary did ask for them to pair up and formulate questions for the project which did get them talking for a brief amount of time. Going into week 3, I would like to see more active participation from the students in the class.

While students have been passive with participation in the physical class, their online participation is very well done. Dr. Murphree assigns weekly discussion posts for students to write on the assigned readings of the class. The students are able to voice their own reflection of the readings which asserts that they have potential of leading and participating in discussions in class. Week 3 will see discussions between students which I will try to observe their discussion and provide my own experiences with the class and in graduate school. Discussing historical discourse is vital to the major and practicing public speaking.

Student interaction with me seems to be improving as students have been emailing me about questions regarding the class. I am honored that the students have, in this aspect, approached me. Most of the emails are mundane questions that can be answered fairly quickly. There is one particular email that has an extensive amount of detail that requires me to carefully guide their career opportunities. It is critical that I provide the best and clear answer for this student’s email as it will impact how they proceed in the history major. While there exists pressure of providing the student with answers, the satisfaction of guiding them has taken priority. This aspect of the internship was my main passion when Dr. Murphree presented this opportunity to me and I am glad to be doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment