Friday, February 19, 2021

HIS 5944 (2/13-2/19/2021)

 

This week, the internship had me continuing my process of going through administrative processes. With the publication of this blog, all the administrative process should be finished for now. The most exciting portion of this week stemmed from being able to publish these interviews for the public to view. I am happy to see that these interviews can now be accessed and presented out. Next week should see them available as submission takes some time due to the approval process. Even my own interview will be there for public research if it ever may be accessed. There is some worry that some of these interesting or insightful interviews may never be utilized for public research. It is so hard to determine if in the future a student will recognize these interviews and understand the weight behind them. Certainly, that situation has made me look at archived oral histories far more differently such as the September 11 digital archive.

The weight of these interviews becomes more easier once time has set in. These interviews carry tragedy and hope of a better future without being stifled by the fear of a pandemic. I encourage those that read this blog to investigate these interviews and watch one to see how people coped through the pandemic. There were so many ways people coped such as playing games, picking up hobbies, watching shows, and other recreational activities.

The marketing of the interviews has been slightly better than previous weeks with continued discussion of emailing people previously interested. Mary had given me a list of people who had already been interested yet refused to be interviewed. It is disappointing yet understandable with how some people become spontaneously busy between semesters. However, others have asked to be interviewed once more which I am ecstatic about. I am still in the talks with emailing the professors from different colleges within the university, yet I have not received an answer yet.

During one of our private meetings, Mary provided me with some feedback with how I am conducting these interviews which has made me consider implementing them in future ones. One critique was my use of “I assume” which conveys more of me guiding the interviewer which is not a good thing. I realized while reading the transcripts how much I say it which made me laugh, yet also pushing me to tone that down. In addition, another piece of feedback or discussion was how interviewers fall within two categories: introverted and extroverted. The introverts are the ones who speak less and answer the question very fast when interviewed with as little detail as possible. These people are difficult from the interviewer perspective because you must hone your skill of trying to bring out their unique perspectives. I will say that the introverts seem to be the diamond in the rough more often than the extroverts. The extroverts are the ones who talk for hours on end and provide so many details which can be helpful. However, the interviewer needs to know when to stop them from talking their ear off. These skills make oral history more complex than what I previously subscribed it to be which I am glad to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment