Friday, February 12, 2021

HIS 5944 (2/6-2/12/2021)

 

The COVID-19 project continues to be a fascinating project that allows me to practice oral history within a real-life event. This week acted as catching up regarding administrative work as I was still organizing, and filling paperwork related to the interviews I have conducted for the past semester or so. Some interviews’ paperwork still was not filled out or completed that dated to last year in the Fall Semester. The paperwork usually consists of the interviewees name, private information, and some description of the interview to be filed into the process for when it is published. These documents allow for the Special Collection and University Archives workers to use these metadata sheets to enhance either their transcription or review process to assure proper quality control. However, I will admit that the paperwork end of oral history becomes more tedious than the actual interviews.

Progress on marketing or interviews have stymied due to the administration process yet we have a good sample size of participants willing to be interviewed. This includes my previous discussions on professors such as Dr. Murphree or Dr. Hardy to share their perspective on the pandemic. While Dr. Hardy politely declined, Dr. Murphree expressed interest and it helps that he knows me personally from my classes. I hope that this does not affect the interview itself. As for professors such as those within the departments outside of the History department, I have been patiently debating on whether to send an email. Because of this administrative process, it was my thought that adding more interviews would only exacerbate the process.

This week taught me more about filling paperwork and understanding the importance of responsibility. It is my responsibility to fill this paperwork so that the other workers can properly perform their tasks. A failure within the process results in a lower quality and reflects poorly on both the project and those working under it.

The internship has mainly been focused on working from home this week which brings its own challenges. I will be frank that being at home can be a large distraction and it is easy to slack off because of the inability of someone looking over. However, I have found myself being more productive at home than at work due to my comfortability of home. The COVID-19 pandemic has tested some workers and students from dealing and being properly motivated to work through a pandemic.

I have learned the value of motivation and self-worth through this internship that I never properly valued as much as an undergraduate. Being motivated to solve or complete a task lets you focus on the important things instead of being distracted by outside factors. It is a quality that many of us do not dwell on due to our own motivations to stay focused. I recall that interview with the freshman student who shared their story that motivation was critical in the pandemic because it is easy to fall into the rabbit hole of boredom and sloth. I hope that when I find myself in said hole that I can dig myself out of it easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment